Sometimes married couples (or Civil Partners) wish to separate without getting divorced. There can be any number of reasons for not wanting to get divorced, or at least to defer it until a later date. A Separation Agreement can be a useful interim or long-term measure in these circumstances.
A Separation Agreement simply outlines the financial arrangements you both agree on whilst you are separated. It can be tailor made to suit your circumstances and can include many things, for example:
- Who will pay the mortgage or rent whilst separated
- Who pays other commitments such as loans, credit cards, bills
- Who will live in the family home
- What happens to assets such as savings and investments
- Child care arrangements
- What happens to jointly owned items such as cars or furniture
If you would like to discuss an issue with one of our family law solicitors, please contact us and one of our specialist team will be happy to advise you.